Every month I submit bullet dots of activities of Texas Forums to the LBJ Library Management Staff. Starting with this month, I’m going to share these comments with the general public. To see what we’ve been up to for the past month, click here!
For those who may have a hard time downloading, here they are!
Texas Forums Bullet Dots
Activities for September 2007
9.6: Completed discussion guide for Too Many Children Left Behind: Closing the Achievement Gaps in Central Texas discussion guide based on the Kettering Foundation national framework
9.9-10 St. Paul meeting with e-democracy re: technology and democracy, Knight Foundation grant possibilities. Keynote speaker for training session for 50 Minneapolis Librarians re: Libraries and Community Engagement.
9.15: Trained 15 moderators (1/2 high school students) for Achievement Gaps forums at Round Rock High School.
9.17: Concluded 12 session virtual discussions in OPAL room on Extreme Democracy with participants from Michigan, Oregon, Pennsylvania, California and France. Participants want to continue, but don’t have the agenda worked out. Set up wiki for group to collaborate on ideas.
9.19: Co-sponsor with United Way and St. David’s Foundation of three-year community engagement kick-off luncheon with speaker, Rich Harwood for 550 people.
9.20 21: Central Texas “Too Many Children Left Behind” Team (ED of E3 Alliance and San Marcos Superintendent) meeting at Kettering Foundation (Dayton, OH) with eleven other sites from around the country partnering on an 18 month research project. One partner from AR, very interested in bringing Clinton Library on board.
9.23: Launched local planning team for national conference of National Coalition for Dialogue and Deliberation to be held in Austin, October 2008.
9.23: Launched Citizen Campaign Watch blog. Recruiting citizens to add content and extend citizen coverage of the campaign beyond Tavis Smiley forum postings on Texas Forum blog.
9.24 26: Training 35 moderators for Achievement Gap forums at United Way.
9.25: Doing Achievement Gaps forum with E3 Alliance Board.
9.27: Tavis Smiley Presidential Forums Watch Party with the Republican candidates. Blogging from LBJ Library for PBS.
9.29: Training 52 moderators for Achievement Gap forums at St. Edwards University.
• Web-based travel service picked up photo of LBJ Library from Texas Forums Flickr site and used it to promote the library.
• Now Public (citizen journalism site) picked up photo of “$100 laptop” taken at our August “We Are All Actors” weekend and shown on Texas Forums Flickr site and is publishing article linking to our site.
• Prepared 3 minute script for Univision announcing Too Many Children Left Behind. To be filmed in English and Spanish.
• Working on national citizen’s caucus to be held December 7, 2007.
• Working on Facing Racism study circles.
• Meeting with partners on Covenant with Black America community curriculum.
• Preparing funding proposals to Knight Foundation.
• Established a web presence in Facebook (recruited Extreme Democracy participants this way!) the National Coalition for Dialogue and Deliberation social networking site – setting up a Texas Forums user-group.
• Published three electronic newsletters promoting the Tribute web site, the LBJ commercial, and the new exhibit, Bills, Bills, Bills.
• Preparing for October when 600-800 people across Central Texas will be in forums on Achievement Gaps. YIKES!