Almost half of the watch party participants had something to say about the candidates as the event came to a close:
1. I’m taking off my Obama sticker and putting on Gravel. I am touched by his passion.
2. I think Gravel should not be up there. He has no substance except insults everybody.
3. If you are a no namer you attack. It’s part of the game.
4. Gravel is keeping the rest of the folks in line. His name will be remembered.
5. Republicans are not talking about things that affect everyday Americans. At least people tonight are addressing the issues.
6. The best candidates are less likely to win. I liked Gravel’s suggestion of ending the war on drugs.
7. Democrats have a long tradition of airing the dirty laundry and getting into a dogfight in the primaries and having no power getting into the general election. We need to demand our candidates stay above the line and stay positive but not gloss over serious issues. Republicans figured out a long time ago that we want a person who is hopeful.
8.I need people to separate themselves and help me understand how you are going to fix issues that empower us and not fight someone elses war. We need to begin to take care of ourselves before we take care of others.
9. This is PBS. It is about as good as it is gonna get. Can we live with soundbites. Should there be a broader form of getting substantive answers.
10. I like Obama but he does too much grandstanding. I want to know his position and solutions.
11. You have to do the research yourselves in a lot of instances. You’ll find the answers that they don’t have time for.
12. There’s too many people onstage. Everyone likes to talk a lot but has nothing to say. Those of us here are more politically involved.
13. What they say they are gonna do is different from what they do. I would like to see more in depth.
14. PBS put this on. You have in this town the most active station, KLRU. Become members and become active. Tavis Smiley deserves kudos for bringing this forum to the people. If you want more of this get on the board and get to know our CEO.
15. Joe Biden needs to stop smiling and look more presidential.
16. I liked Obama and the issues relating to black America. He went to the federal government responsiblity and individual/family responsibility.
17. I’m upset they didn’t mention illegal immigration.
18. Thanks to everyone for giving their time tonight. It was very powerful.